Lagos State governor and the Visitor to the Lagos State University (LASU), Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, after consideration of the report of the Special Visitation Panel on the appointment of the ninth Vice-Chancellor and by the powers conferred on him by the Lagos State University Law, Cap L69 volume 7, Laws of Lagos State, has dissolved the governing council of the university.
In addition, he has also ordered the Registrar of the university who is also the Secretary to the Council, to proceed on compulsory leave, while also ordering for the fresh selection process of the new vice-chancellor of the university.
STAY UPDATED: If you want use to send you your school's latest update on WhatsApp. Then CLICK HERE to join our WhatsApp Update Group Now.
Among other decisions taken by the governor on Friday, Sanwo-Olu ordered for the following:
(1) The immediate dissolution of the Lagos State University Governing Council and the removal of the pro-chancellor and Chairman of Council for flagrant violations of the extant laws and regulations of the university guiding the appointment of a vice-chancellor.https://8b405378b58fbd255fd67bd4e8c993d1.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html
(2) Cancellation of the second failed exercise to appoint the ninth substantive vice-chancellor as a result of the flagrant contravention of extant laws, breach of due process, failure and total disregard to follow its own laid down criteria guiding the process for the appointment of a 9th Vice-Chancellor as publicly advertised.
(3) In due course, a new governing council for the Lagos State University will be constituted. The reconstituted council shall conduct a new process for the appointment of the vice-chancellor.
(4) Members of the Joint Council and the Senate Committee who participated in the two failed exercises of 2020 and 2021 to appoint the vice-Chancellor are exempted from further participation in the new exercise. The acting Vice-Chancellor and management of the university are hereby directed to elect new council members from the Senate.
(5) The Registrar and Secretary to Council is to proceed on leave with immediate effect till the end of the process for the appointment of the vice-chancellor, having failed to advise the Joint Council and Senate Committee against taking wrong decisions, which were against the provision of the law during the two failed exercises of 2020 and 2021.
An acting Registrar will superintend over the new exercise. The acting Vice-Chancellor is to forward to the Governor/Visitor through the surrogate council (Special Adviser on Education) the list of all the Deputy Registrars of Lagos State University for the purpose of appointing an acting Registrar for the university.
(6) The Governor/Visitor following the recommendation of the special visitation panel, shall be setting up a full visitation panel for Lagos State University immediately.
FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE
Thank you so much for reading. We will appreciate it if you share this with your loved ones.